First Sergeants’ Warrior of the Week
Rank and Name: SSgt Scotty R. Duncan
Home of Record: Red Bluff, California
Birth date/location: 20 Jan 1984, Chico, California
Married/Single (spouse’s name as appropriate) Married: Valerie F. Duncan
Children? Yes If yes, how old? Reagan Elizabeth Duncan, 11 months
Date entered the Air Force: 17 Sep 2002
Deployed Unit: 407 AEG/HC
Section assigned to here at Ali: Chapel
Job Title at Ali: Chaplain Assistant
Home Unit and Base: 82 TRW/HC Sheppard AFB, TX
Supervisor evaluation/justification statement (why was this warrior selected?):
SSgt Duncan is one of the most forward leaning, difference making Chaplain Assistants I have had the privilege of serving alongside. He makes my job easy. I give Scotty the tough jobs and watch them get done. In addition to providing critical chapel support functions – setting up for worship services, scripture studies, and chapel functions, SSgt Duncan has gone the extra mile doing the important jobs of caring personally for people. It is typical for chaplain assistants to do some unit visitation with chaplains. However, SSgt Duncan has made it a point to do several unit visits by himself in order to speak Airman to Airman with individuals who may need support but could be reluctant to speak with an officer, and in that way has played a critical role as the eyes and ears of the Chaplain Corps at Ali. Scotty has arranged and assisted with 25 tours of the Ziggurat and ancient Ur sites, building morale and esprit de corps for over 875 Air Force, Navy and Army personnel and civilian contractors. He will lead a team of 54 volunteers to clean up the site on 28 February. He has also taken on the extra duties of serving as leader of the Group Honor Guard, providing support for weekly retreat ceremonies and four changes of command, and administers and teaches a weekly Financial Peace University class for 24 enrolled students. SSgt Duncan ensures personnel are prepared for a less stressful reunion and reintegration with their families and coworkers by providing a weekly redeployment briefing for all Air Force personnel.
Supervisor name and position title at Ali Base: Ch, Maj Kevin L. Lockett, Group Chaplain
Why did you join the Air Force? At first I joined the Air Force for the college money, and a job. I reenlisted because I am very proud to be a member of the United States Air Force, I believe that I have made no better decision in my life then to become an American Airman…that is of course aside from marrying my wife and having our daughter.
What inspires you? I find that I am not inspired by one thing alone, but many things. One that sticks out in my mind is people I have seen in the military who have true integrity, those who do the right thing even when it is not the most popular thing. Those who are not afraid to speak their mind, but know when to hold their tongue. I feel sometimes that Airmen see, “Integrity First,” as a saying rather than an action. It is one thing to say it, it is another to do it.
What is your most memorable Air Force experience? I have been to many wonderful places, and seen amazing things, and accomplished things I never thought possible. There are two things in my Air Force career, that I will never forget. The first is my time with the Robins AFB Honor Guard, the Honor Guard gave me a respect for the flag and for those who have come before me. The second moment in my career has been here at Ali Base, this has been my first trip to Iraq and my first interaction with the Iraqi people. I have seen shows on TV and read e-mails on my computer about the great things that we have done in Iraq, but never have I heard the voice of an Iraqi citizen nor have I seen the smile on his face when he thanked me for what I do. After meeting Dhaif Muhsen and hearing firsthand the differences we have made here, I am proud to know we are making a positive difference. I will forever know that what I do is not in vain.
Hobbies: Playing Guitar, riding my unicycle, swing dancing, and playing board games
Rank and Name: SSgt Scotty R. Duncan
Home of Record: Red Bluff, California
Birth date/location: 20 Jan 1984, Chico, California
Married/Single (spouse’s name as appropriate) Married: Valerie F. Duncan
Children? Yes If yes, how old? Reagan Elizabeth Duncan, 11 months
Date entered the Air Force: 17 Sep 2002
Deployed Unit: 407 AEG/HC
Section assigned to here at Ali: Chapel
Job Title at Ali: Chaplain Assistant
Home Unit and Base: 82 TRW/HC Sheppard AFB, TX
Supervisor evaluation/justification statement (why was this warrior selected?):
SSgt Duncan is one of the most forward leaning, difference making Chaplain Assistants I have had the privilege of serving alongside. He makes my job easy. I give Scotty the tough jobs and watch them get done. In addition to providing critical chapel support functions – setting up for worship services, scripture studies, and chapel functions, SSgt Duncan has gone the extra mile doing the important jobs of caring personally for people. It is typical for chaplain assistants to do some unit visitation with chaplains. However, SSgt Duncan has made it a point to do several unit visits by himself in order to speak Airman to Airman with individuals who may need support but could be reluctant to speak with an officer, and in that way has played a critical role as the eyes and ears of the Chaplain Corps at Ali. Scotty has arranged and assisted with 25 tours of the Ziggurat and ancient Ur sites, building morale and esprit de corps for over 875 Air Force, Navy and Army personnel and civilian contractors. He will lead a team of 54 volunteers to clean up the site on 28 February. He has also taken on the extra duties of serving as leader of the Group Honor Guard, providing support for weekly retreat ceremonies and four changes of command, and administers and teaches a weekly Financial Peace University class for 24 enrolled students. SSgt Duncan ensures personnel are prepared for a less stressful reunion and reintegration with their families and coworkers by providing a weekly redeployment briefing for all Air Force personnel.
Supervisor name and position title at Ali Base: Ch, Maj Kevin L. Lockett, Group Chaplain
Why did you join the Air Force? At first I joined the Air Force for the college money, and a job. I reenlisted because I am very proud to be a member of the United States Air Force, I believe that I have made no better decision in my life then to become an American Airman…that is of course aside from marrying my wife and having our daughter.
What inspires you? I find that I am not inspired by one thing alone, but many things. One that sticks out in my mind is people I have seen in the military who have true integrity, those who do the right thing even when it is not the most popular thing. Those who are not afraid to speak their mind, but know when to hold their tongue. I feel sometimes that Airmen see, “Integrity First,” as a saying rather than an action. It is one thing to say it, it is another to do it.
What is your most memorable Air Force experience? I have been to many wonderful places, and seen amazing things, and accomplished things I never thought possible. There are two things in my Air Force career, that I will never forget. The first is my time with the Robins AFB Honor Guard, the Honor Guard gave me a respect for the flag and for those who have come before me. The second moment in my career has been here at Ali Base, this has been my first trip to Iraq and my first interaction with the Iraqi people. I have seen shows on TV and read e-mails on my computer about the great things that we have done in Iraq, but never have I heard the voice of an Iraqi citizen nor have I seen the smile on his face when he thanked me for what I do. After meeting Dhaif Muhsen and hearing firsthand the differences we have made here, I am proud to know we are making a positive difference. I will forever know that what I do is not in vain.
Hobbies: Playing Guitar, riding my unicycle, swing dancing, and playing board games
This is awesome! Congrats to Scott! You must be proud, Val!
ReplyDelete